Friday, April 16, 2010

The internet is a beautiful thing

Happy Friday, everyone!

For those who are working, that has a much sweeter sound than those whose Fridays, Saturdays, and Tuesdays aren't that different. Despite the fact that I fall into the latter category, this is a happy Friday for me.

Let's run down the list of this week's successes:

1. Started the My HR Job Search blog and Twitter (www.twitter.com/myhrjobsearch).
2. Slowly but surely, I'm gaining followers. I'm up to 35 as I type this.
3. Started mentoring folks in my Alumni Job Club about the benefits of social media in a job search.
4. Had a couple rough appointments this week that I made it through, and as a result, I'm going to see my favorite local band tonight (3 In Counting - www.3ICmusic.com)
5. Had a phone interview today and did a kick-ass job, if I may pat myself on the back.
5a. Referred the interviewer to my LinkedIn page with all of my recommendations.
6. Was surprisingly featured in Melissa Cooley (@thejobquest)'s blog, in her "Job Seekers Edition." - http://melissacooley.com/2010/04/ff-job-seekers-edition/
7. Received several solid responses to my request for a resume review.
8. Had a very busy #FollowFriday on both my jobsearch and personal Twitters.
9. Starting to lose the ho-hum feeling of being "in transition."

So why is the internet a beautiful thing? Without it, items 1-9 on this list would not be possible. Or, would not be possible in such a short period of time. In this age of "I need it yesterday," I don't think I could wait a week or two to receive a response to a resume, and I certainly wouldn't be able to make instant connections with people across the country (and world) to build this fruitful, mutually-beneficial community of job seekers, job search professionals, and all around good people.

If you've had to go through the job search with nothing but classified ads, I'm very sorry. This is the way to do it.

There's my positive thought for this Friday afternoon. So if you're reading this blog, thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to join me on this journey. And if you're reading this blog because we've become connected by Twitter, then I have an extra big THANK YOU for you!

Off to enjoy a Mexican dinner and then cap off the evening with the aforementioned concert. Keep reading, and keep sharing this blog with all of your friends!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I saw that Jennifer had mentioned HRevolution to you on Twitter, but I thought I'd reiterate. If you can come, please do! It's in your neck of the woods this year, and it would be amazing for you to see, hear, and participate in the conversations. Plus you could talk with the handful of other "in transition" pros that will also be attending.

    Let me know if I can help with anything, and if you'd like to hit a guest post on the blog for a little more exposure, just let me know. :-)

    Keep up the good work!

    Ben Eubanks
    UpstartHR.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Tennessee and the sales tax here is almost 10%, so I can buy something over the internet and the shipping charge is sometimes cheaper than the sales tax.

    Holiday car hire

    ReplyDelete